What to do when a death occurs

What to do when someone dies at Home

Contact the person’s Doctor (or the Doctor on duty) who may attend and confirm that death has taken place. You will need to contact the doctor’s surgery to confirm if the Medical Certificate of Cause of Death has been completed and when it may be collected.


What to do when someone dies in professional care at a Nursing or Residential Home

In a nursing or residential home, the above procedure is likely to have been carried out by a Doctor or Nursing Staff of the home, who should be able advise you when the medical certificate of cause of death is likely to be completed and ready for collection.


In a Hospital or Hospice

The bereavement officers or nursing staff will be able to offer support and practical advice about what to do next. They will inform you where the nearest Registry Office is, so that you can register the death. In all cases the Medical Certificate of Cause of Death must be passed to the Registrar of Births, Death & Marriages for official record purposes, unless the death is very sudden or unexplained and the Coroner is involved.


As funeral directors we are totally dedicated to our profession, and you can contact us by telephone 24 hours of the day, every day of the year. Once you have called us, we will liaise with you, the Hospice, Hospital or Care Home to make the necessary arrangements to bring your loved one into our care.

Haywards Heath Office
Newick Office (by appointment)
35 Wivelsfield Road
Haywards Heath
West Sussex RH16 4EN

Tel: 01444 454391

46 Allington Road, Newick 
East Sussex BN8 4NB
Tel: 01825 722895
Opening hours:

Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm

Saturdays by appointment

Opening hours:

Visitors by appointment